Our 2021 program will include ten weeks of virtual programming, including speakers from top law firms, advice from legal tech companies and investors, and connections to key mentors and pitch coaches. The program will culminate in a virtual Demo Day which convenes movers and shakers from the next generation of legal service delivery and celebrates the promise of the thoughtful application of legal technology to make legal practice better and expand access to legal services for all.
Selected companies in this year’s program will also receive a mini grant at the start of the program and have the opportunity to win additional monetary prizes at Demo Day. As we continue to see the impact of COVID-19 on lawyering and our local communities, we anticipate that this year’s Demo Day will again be virtual, and we will explore in-person options when it is safe to gather together and when University policy so indicates.
Applications for our 2021 cohort closed on June 20, 2021
- Applications Open June 1
- Applications Due June 20
- Application Review & Interviews June 21 – 25
- Notification of Selection July 2
- Program Begins July 14
- Demo Day October (date TBD)
Who should apply?
You should consider the Duke Law Tech Lab if:
- Your product aims to expand access to legal services – see more below!
- You have or will have a minimum viable product (MVP) by July 2021.
- You have had a few users test out your product and provide positive feedback, and you are looking to expand your access to the market.
- You have received little or no seed or series funding but have mainly relied on sweat equity, family/friends investments, and small grants or loans.
- You are committed to building collaborative relationships and increasing your knowledge and skills.
- You are currently spending a minimum of 10 hours/week on your company on average.
- You are interested in earned media and publicity from the Duke Center on Law & Tech on Twitter, LinkedIn, and our websites.
- You are ready to learn from legal tech leaders and peers.
- You are interested in connecting with program sponsors.
What we mean by expanding access to legal services
We are seeking innovative companies who are working to expand market-based access to legal services for people in the middle – those who do not qualify for reduced fee or free legal services, nor those who are able to afford the traditional fee for services.
We also encourage companies to apply who are aiming to increase the efficiency or effectiveness of reduced fee legal services.
We hope to help create viable markets for legal tech tools that close the access gap for these key constituencies. In addition to being legal tech tools, your product might also be also considered Justice Tech (described here and here) or Civic Tech.
Past companies include:
- JusticeText (2020)
- Athena (2020)
- People Clerk (2020)
- Courtroom5 (2019)
- Easy Expunctions (2019)
- Hello Divorce (2018)
2021 Program Sponsors